Summer is finally here in the Midwest. It is getting hot and humid and I am ready for everything summer brings. Just this weekend I went to my town’s Ribfest and enjoyed being outdoors and live music.
Being a vegetarian, I didn’t eat any ribs (I was never a huge fan of BBQ anyway. Yes, I know that makes me “un-American”) but really enjoyed being outside. I am so not an outdoors person, but the weather was cool, there was a spectacular country group playing and I enjoyed catching up with my girlfriend who I went with. I couldn’t help notice some abominable fashion choices, though, as I enjoyed the live music:
- Honest-to-God someone was wearing spurs. I live in a large town. There are no cows or stockyards. Why was someone wearing spurs?
- A mother (?) and daughter (?) were wearing matching broomstick skirts and belly dancers scarves with coins sewn on. Um, I live in one of the least populous states in the United States. There are no blonde gypsies. Period.
- A blonde woman was shimmying around wearing a one-shouldered taffeta shirt. Really? 2001 called–it wants its shirt back.
- Kids walking around with hats cocked all gangsta style. Again, I live in a sparsely populated state. These kids looked straight-up ridiculous.
- Sooooo many jeans with rhinestones on the butt pockets. Who decided this was fashion genius?
Now, before you think I am 100% catty, there were some really cute fashion items I saw. Skinny belts with a big sweater. Adorable sundresses. Fun t-shirts and darling “going out” shirts.
All in all, it was a beautiful night under the stars with Gloriana playing, a full moon, and a happy town coming out to nosh on ribs and enjoy the camaraderie life in the Midwest affords you.